Uncategorized

Dylan Lloyd, accused of sexually assaulting child on Adelaide train, denied home detention bail


A convicted child sex offender has been refused home detention bail after the alleged sexual assault of a child on a train in Adelaide’s south.

Dylan Lloyd, 21, whose name was previously suppressed, appeared by video link at the Christies Beach Magistrates Court on Monday afternoon.

Police allege he sexually assaulted an underage girl while she travelled along the Seaford train line on January 11.

Defence lawyer Andrew Williams — who represented Mr Lloyd — said that due to his autism spectrum disorder, he needed home detention bail and would be granted two carers at all times.

“We have taken the necessary steps to speak to NDIS and ask what you [carers] can put in place for him to ensure his safety and the safety of the community,” Mr Williams told the court.

“If he remains in custody, I am concerned for his safety.”

The prosecution argued the proposed home detention address was “not appropriate”, as it was only 300 metres from a primary school and Mr Lloyd is considered a “high risk child sex offender”.

“The allegations in relation to this matter are serious,” police prosecutor Sergeant Sally Francis told the court.

“The [alleged] victim was 12 years of age, she was by herself and she was not known to the defendant at all.”

Magistrate Briony Kennewell refused bail.(ABC News: David Frearson)

The court heard that Mr Lloyd tried to follow the alleged victim after the alleged assault occurred and a third party called police.

Police told the court a mix of CCTV, metroCARD usage, witnesses and clothing evidence created a “very strong case”.

Magistrate Briony Kennewell heard that Mr Lloyd was previously convicted in Adelaide’s District Court of the indecent assault of a 10-year-old girl at Marion Shopping Centre in 2021.

Since the alleged train assault, police have gathered information that they believed amounted to further offences.

“The police have received information very recently that a further [alleged] victim has come forward,” Sergeant Francis told the court.

“In that incident the parties were known to each other. They met through a social media dating app.”

Magistrate Kennewell refused bail and said the case will return in August.

“I refused bail, my reasons are the seriousness of the offence, for the protection of the [alleged] victim and for the protection of the community,” Magistrate Kennewell told the court.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button