Uncategorized

Family’s lucky escape after electrical switchboard sparks devastating fire


A Sydney family is lucky to be alive after a faulty electrical switchboard caught fire, completely destroying their home.

The fire broke out about 2am today at a home on Wilson Parade, Heathcote, in the city’s south, as the family of three slept inside.

Homeowner Ken Edmunds, 74, said the emergency unfolded fast.

READ MORE: New hope for Aussies with deadly cancer

The fire broke out around 2am today at a home on Wilson Parade, Heathcote, in Sydney’s south, as a family of three slept inside.Homeowner Ken Edmunds, 74, said the emergency unfolded fast . (Nine)

“The fire was just so quick,” he said.

He was woken by his son Mark screaming out as fire surrounded his bed.

He said while they had a fire extinguisher it was too hot to get close enough to use it.

The family fled without managing to take anything.

“It’s easy to see how people can get caught, because they think, ‘I’ll grab this and I’ll grab that’ and it can take their lives,” he said.

Fire and Rescue NSW Superintendent Adam Dewberry said the fire started in a bedroom.

READ MORE: Six-legged spaniel undergoes surgery to remove extra limbs

A Sydney family is lucky to be alive after a fire destroyed their home (FRNSW) (Fire and Rescue NSW)

He said it was a “miracle” the family had woken up.

It took firefighters almost two hours to extinguish the blaze.

Dewberry said the fire was started by an overloaded or faulty electrical switchboard.

READ MORE: Multiple states to swelter through stifling conditions in heatwave

A faulty electrical switchboard was blamed as the cause of the fire. (FRNSW) (Fire and Rescue NSW)

“It’s a safety reminder first and foremost to make sure you have working smoke alarms,” he said.

“If you’re sleeping with your bedroom door closed, make sure you’ve got smoke alarms in there.”



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button