Uncategorized

Mohamed Salah’s injury ‘more serious than first thought’, says player’s agent | Mohamed Salah


Mohamed Salah

  • Liverpool talisman out for 21 to 28 days, says his representative
  • Salah to fly back to England after Egypt’s game with Cape Verde

PA Media

Mon 22 Jan 2024 21.03 CET

Mohamed Salah’s muscle injury is “more serious than first thought” and could keep the Liverpool forward out of action for nearly a month, according to his agent.

Liverpool announced on Sunday that the 31-year-old would be returning from Ivory Coast, where he was representing Egypt in the Africa Cup of Nations, to undergo treatment with the aim of returning to the Pharaohs if they progressed to the knockout stages of the competition.

That optimistic plan, at least according to Ramy Abbas Issa, now looks to have had a significant setback. Posting to his personal account on X, the agent wrote: “Mohamed’s injury is more serious than first thought and he will be out for 21-28 days, and not two games. His best chance at participating in the current Afcon is by undergoing intensive rehabilitation in the UK and rejoining the team as soon as he is fit.”

An Egyptian FA statement, posted on Liverpool’s official website on Sunday evening, read: “After additional examinations were conducted on Mohamed Salah during the last hours, and after communication between the national team’s medical staff and his counterpart at Liverpool FC, it was decided that the player will return to England after the Cape Verde match tomorrow to complete his treatment, with the hope that he will join the national team in the semi-final of the Afcon if we qualify.”

Liverpool initially struggled to create in the absence of their talisman during the game at Bournemouth on Sunday, but they moved five points clear at the top of the Premier League after a crushing 4-0 win with second-half doubles from Darwin Núñez and Diogo Jota.

Speaking after the victory at the Vitality Stadium the Liverpool manager, Jürgen Klopp, said it “makes sense” for Salah to fly back to Merseyside from the tournament.

“That’s the plan,” the German said before the news was confirmed. “If that’s already decided 100%, I don’t know. But that’s the plan. However long he’s out, probably everybody sees it like this, it makes sense that he’s doing the rehab with us or with our people. If that’s written in stone already, I don’t know.

“I spoke with him directly after, the night when it happened. Since then he’s in contact with our doctor. I think he will be back.”



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button